Some OHL news before the big game tonight.
Saginaw's Greg Gilbert was named OHL coach of the year. Gilbert received 45 points in the vote. Kitchener's Steve Spott was second at 39 points. Brampton skipper Stan Butler was third with 34 points.
Gilbert joined the Spirit mid-season and the team went 20-10-1-5 under his watch.
This is the fourth time the Rangers have gone to a Game 7 under Steve Spott's watch.
2011: West quarter-finals, Plymouth 4, Kitchener 2
2010: West final, Windsor 4, Kitchener 1
2010: West semifinals, Kitchener 8, London 3
Plymouth is 5-5 in Game 7 in team history.
If Kitchener wins tonight, the western final schedule is as follows:
Game 1: Thursday April 19 - Kitchener at London - 7 p.m.
Game 2: Sunday April 22 - London at Kitchener - 7 p.m.
Game 3: Tuesday April 24 - Kitchener at London - 7 p.m.
Game 4: Wednesday April 25 - London at Kitchener - 7 p.m.
Game 5: Friday April 27 - Kitchener at London - 7 p.m. *
Game 6: Sunday April 29 - London at Kitchener - 7 p.m. *
Game 7: Monday April 30 - Kitchener at London - 7 p.m. *
* if necessary
- Turns out, Tyler Randell was the difference maker. Give him six goals in two playoff games. But it wasn't just his scoring that helped. He blocked shots, made hits and added toughness.
- Andrew Crescenzi returned but looked fragile. He is no doubt still dealing with his upper body injury. At least the team has one off day before facing London Thursday.
- Plymouth's Stefan Noesen returned from his hand injury and made an immediate impact. He was a threat all game.
- Plymouth will be good next year. Love Matt Mistele and Tom Wilson. Keepers for sure.
- In the battle of the goalies, it was John Gibson winning over Scott Wedgewood, hands down.
- Zach Lorentz showed up tonight big time. Never seen him block so many shots and dish out so many hits.
- Randell says he's just getting started in the post-season.
- Coach/GM Steve Spott praised captain Mike Catenacci for keeping the room tight all season and in the playoffs.
JB's top three Rangers: Tyler Randell, John Gibson, Cody Sol