Exhibition action kicks off tonight at the Waterloo Rec Complex.
The Huskies de Rouyn-Noranda are in town for a tilt against the Rangers.
If this morning's combos from practice hold up, this is what you'll see tonight on the ice:
Matt Puempel-Radek Faksa-Tobias Rieder
Ben Thomson-Josh Sterk-Matia Marcantuoni
Brent Pedersen-Curtis Meighan-Eric Ming
Darby Llewellyn-Matt Schmalz-Justin Bailey
Ryan Murphy-Evan McEneny
Max Iafrate-Ben Fanelli
Cory Genovese-Jared Gilbert
John Gibson to start with Franky Palazzese as backup.
The team worked two PP units this morning. The top one had Puempel, Faksa, Rieder, Marcantuoni and Murphy. The second had Thomson, Sterk, Pedersen, McEneny and Bailey/Iafrate.
I interviewed Slovakian Juraj Bezuch yesterday who is fluent in English. He jas sure looked good during the intersquad games the past couple of days. He's still looking for a home and will only end up in Kitchener if Radek Faksa cracks the NHL.
- Not your most exciting match, but it is just the first exhibition game of the season.
- For the most part the top line of Faksa, Rieder and Puempel looked fine. Rieder took most of the faceoffs.
- Not time to panic, but it will be interesting to see if someone other than the top trio and Murphy messes the mesh in the home-and-home with Brampton Sunday and Monday.
- I thought it was a nice touch for Spott to line up the rooks to start the game - Bailey-Llewellyn and Schmalz. Bailey missed the first period with a broken skate blade but returned for the rest of the game.
- No injuries to report after the game.
- Thought Gibson looked sharp for the first game of the pre-season.
- That shootout didn't exactly scream precision. But, hey, as mentioned, it's early. Coulda used Zach Lorentz - last year's shootout specialist, now in Peterborough.