If you haven't heard, Radek Faksa has been officially reassigned to the Kitchener Rangers. The team had a verbal commitment from the Stars, but anything can happen.
He's out of tonight's game wiht a nagging shoulder injury. I'm told it's nothing serious. Better to rest him now in anticipation of next week's season opener.
The team is still awaiting the fate of goalie John Gibson, who has a chance of landing in the AHL. It's likely that he stays put though. UPDATE: Gibson officially sent to OHL, not Norfolk.
Overage defenceman Ryan Hanes had a successful tryout with the Rangers and will remain with the club. The Rangers sent a 14th round conditional pick in next year's draft to Sudbury for the 20-year-old. If Hanes is on the club by Jan. 10th, or if the Rangers trade him before that time, that 14th pick turns into an eighth rounder in next year's draft.
But don't be surprised if the OA situation changes during the season. I'm hearing there is a chance forward Andrew Crescenzi may be coming back.
Lines for tonight:
Gibson in net, but looks like Palazzese may come in partway through the match.
- As Don Cameron just told me, "now it's time to get serious." At least the Rangers picked up a win before the pre-season was done.
- Was thinking to myself before the game that Matt Puempel hasn't had a really good game yet and then he scores and adds two assists.
- Gibson and Palazzese each played half the game. Gibson allowed a floater, while Palazzese let in three goals. To Franky's defence, the blueliners fell asleep in the third and allowed 20 shots, most of them quality.
- Justin Bailey was rocked into the boards early on, but remained in the game.
- A bunch of forwards finally woke up - Marcantuoni, Sterk, Ming, Czinder. Nice to see.
- Steve Spott juggled the lines throughout, in part because Domenic Alberga was tossed about five minutes in for fighting. Sterk was centring the top line and the fourth line at times.
- Barrie better hope Mathias Niederberger doesn't get hurt. Backup Alex Fotinos was not sharp.