Had a good chat with Kitchener Rangers GM Steve Spott, who is understandably jet-lagged after flying home from Russia.
A few observations:
- No OHL team has made an offer for Kitchener Rangers goalie John Gibson. Team will have to be majorly overwhelmed in order to deal him.
- Ryan Murphy (CAR), John Gibson (ANA) and Radek Faksa (DAL) have not been invited to NHL camps as of yet. Assumption is that Murphy will be going, but his agent still has not heard from 'Canes.
- The Rangers will be buyers at the trade deadline, according to GM Steve Spott. With Gibson, Murphy and Matt Puempel, teams aren't calling to find out who they can acquire. They're calling to offer players, of the veteran quality.
- Radek Faksa returns from Russia Thursday. Murphy and Tobias Rieder will play Tuesday vs. Guelph. Gibson will be a healthy scratch and start Thursday -- which means team is thinking he's staying put.
- A decision to keep or push the OHL trade deadline will be made tomorrow by the competition committee.
- No Rangers player is off limits when it comes to trades. GM says expectations are higher from team's No. 1 picks.
- GM Spott has several balls in play but is at dialogue stage. Wants to add scoring depth and a veteran defenceman.
- Zach Lorentz is on the move again. He goes from Windsor to Plymouth for ex-Rangers forward Alex Aleardi. Third team this year for Lorentz. He started the year in Peterborough.