Rangers: 5-2-1-0, second in western conference
Spirit: 1-4-1-0, ninth in western conference
Head to head: The Rangers went 4-0 against the Spirit last season.
Game-time: 7:05 p.m.
The skinny: After a good start the Spirit has allowed six goals in each of its past three games - all losses. Kitchener too has cooled a bit with two losses in its past three games. Anthony Dumont-Bouchard suffered his first loss of the season last night so I'd expect Luke Richardson to get the crease tonight.
Keep an eye on: Adam Mascherin had seven points in four games against Saginaw last season.
Local connections: Saginaw bench boss Troy Smith spent two years as head coach and seven as an assistant in Kitchener. … Spirit D Keaton Middleton hails from nearby Stratford. … Rangers D Doug Blaisdell is from Dearborn Heights, MI. ... Spirit associate coach Chris Lazary once coached the Waterloo Siskins.
Additional reading: Rally comes up short in the Soo
Connor Bunnaman-Riley Damiani-Adam Mascherin
Joseph Garreffa-Rickard Hugg-Cole Carter
Adam Liska-Greg Meireles-Jake Henderson
Nick McHugh-Michael Petizian-Jonathan Yantsis
Logan Stanley-Connor Hall
Doug Blaisdell-Kyle Gentles
Giovanni Vallati-Grayson Ladd
Luke Richardson (0-2-1-0) starts.
Damien Giroux-Blade Jenkins-D.J. Busdeker
Kyle Bollers-Brady Gilmour-Cole Coskey
Matthew Kreis-Camaryn Baber-Ben Badalamenti
Danny Katic-Aidan Prueter-Ryan Stepien
Keaton Middleton-Hayden Davis
Marcus Crawford-Caleb Everett
Duncan Penman-Brock Hill
Evan Cormier (1-3-1-0) starts.
- The Dow Event Center has moved into the top five cold OHL rinks. AC on to help humidity, or so I'm told. #mittens
- No Max Grondin (instigator) or Nick Porco (slew foot) for tonight's tilt. Both are out with two-game suspensions.
- Some big fan support for a few Rangers in the stands. A generous Jake Henderson fan club and what looks like a giant Doug Blaisdell face on a stick with his jersey attached.
- Logan Stanley dropped the gloves with Keaton Middleton, who came to the aid of teammate Brady Gilmour after Stanley delivered a bone crunching check into the boards. Middleton earned 17 PIMs for the exchange.
- Saginaw doesn't have the veteran fire power but the team sure works hard. The Spirit outshot the Rangers 12-5 in the first period.
- The atmosphere at the Dow was fairly subdued. Not a lot of fans. 50-50 jackpot was $225 in the first period.
- Played on speakers after Kitchener scored - MC Hammer's 2 Legit 2 Quit.
- Give Connor Bunnaman three goals in his past two games. Got the game winner tonight. His line with Rickard Hugg and Cole Carter was the best trio in the third.
- A crucial four minute penalty kill by the Rangers late in the third with Logan Stanley in the box with a double minor.
- Hugg won more than a third of the Rangers' draws (10-for-15).
JB's top three Rangers: Connor Bunnaman, Luke Richardson, Rickard Hugg