Forwards Justin Bailey, Curtis Meighan and Brent Pedersen will be assistants.
Maaskant joined the Rangers via trade with the Barrie Colts about a month ago and said, at the time of the trade, that he wanted to play a leadership role in Kitchener.
Well, he got the top job Tuesday afternoon and in doing so becomes the third consecutive defenceman to don the ‘C’ following rearguards Ben Fanelli and Ryan Murphy.
Nobody wore the captain’s letter in the pre-season but Maaskant was a regular assistant.
The Clinton native was drafted by the Erie Otters in the eighth round of the 2010 OHL draft but was waived after one season. He spent parts of the past two years with the Colts before arriving at the Aud this past August.
- Dmitrii Sergeev is on his way back from the St. Louis Blues and will be a game-time decision tomorrow in Owen Sound.
- The Buffalo Sabres have made a few more cuts but Justin Bailey has survived and remains with the club.
- F Jacob Cascagnette has be reassinged to the Jr. B Kitchener Dutchmen.
- Brandon Robinson is back on the ice and practising. The team is hoping he'll be cleared to return after today's practice. Likewise for injured F Connor Bunnaman.
- Rangers alumni Cody Sol and Mike Catenacci were at the Aud today. Both have signed in the ECHL but have AHL tryouts - Sol with Lake Erie and Catenacci with Hartford.
- D Max Iafrate is back and will play in the season opener. It's unclear when he will head to Lake Erie for his AHL tryout.
Here are the forward lines from today's practice:
Mason Kohn-Ryan MacInnis-Darby Llewellyn
Brandon Robinson-Gustaf Franzen-Nick Magyar
Brent Pedersen-Curtis Meighan-Adam Mascherin
Mark Bzowey-Mike Davies-Scott Teskey/Connor Bunnaman
The PP unit being tested included Franzen, MacInnis, Llewellyn, Mascherin and Iafrate.