UPDATE: Further to Sunday's post about the driver crashing through the Critical Mass event in Porto Allegre, Brazil, the Associated Press has reported on event, now saying that 40 cyclists were injured in the incident (this up from 16 earlier today).
Most suffered cuts and broken bones.
The driver, identified by CBS news as 47-year-old Ricardo Neis, has apparently told police he accelerated through the crowd in self-defence after being threatened by one of the cyclists. (In Canada, this is known as the Michael Bryant defence.)
The AP report says the driver, who was picked up by police after his abandoned car was found on the weekend, said that the cyclists "surrounded his vehicle and began beating on it, causing him to panic and fear for his life."
The Critical Mass riders told the newspaper Folha de S. Paulo that no cyclists threatened the driver. "He drove behind us for two blocks, and people were trying to stay calm. Then in the third block, he ... floored it on top of everyone," Marcel Guidoux Kalil told Folha. "It was a scene of war, with twisted bicycles and people bleeding on the ground."
That no one was killed is a miracle. I had earlier said that if the driver is charged, that would be a miracle, too. That was glib. It sounds like this case is being seriously investigated and that the driver may be charged.
One wonders, though, as with the case of the New York cop who was charged with pushing a Critical Mass rider to the ground, what state the investigation would be in if there had not been widely circulated video of the event.
Note to Critical Mass riders: Make sure someone is filming your event.